Looking to kick-start 2019 with a new healthy eating regime? You’re not alone! This is the perfect time of year to shake up your diet and get into good habits for the year ahead. If you speak to any nutritionist, they’ll tell you the importance of starting the day right with a healthy breakfast. In my book Eat Beautiful you’ll find plenty of ideas to pack your diet with fresh seasonal ingredients that will make you look and feel better from the inside out. But if it’s cutting down on carbs that is one of your diet goals for the year, breakfast is a great time to start. Ditch the toast, pastries and bagels and opt for a protein-packed smoothie, super-charged eggs or superfood porridge. Start planning with my three healthy breakfast recipes, below.
Healthy Breakfast Recipes
Green Protein Smoothie
151 CALORIES PER SERVING (WITHOUT TOPPINGS)
I drink a lot of coconut water, and it’s great to have first thing as it will flush away any toxins. Aside from the coconut water, every ingredient has skin-benefiting properties – indeed, each has its own section in my book Eat Beautiful! Loaded with healthy fats that help to plump and smooth the skin as well as vitamin E to help protect it from free-radical damage, this is tailor-made for that early-morning boost – both for energy levels and the overall beauty of the skin.
- Place all the ingredients in a blender of food processor and whizz until smooth.
260 CALORIES PER SERVING
This is great for the morning as it gives you the protein you need to start the day. Like salmon, eggs are a good source of selenium and other skin-benefiting nutrients.
- Whisk the eggs, almond milk, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Melt the oil in a frying pan set over a medium heat. Pour the egg mixture into the pan, tilting the pan to ensure it covers the base, and cook until golden brown on the bottom before flipping to cook the other side.
- Transfer to a plate, add the avocado and rocket in a line down the middle. Top with the smoked salmon, parsley and lemon juice, then roll up and cut in half to serve.
178 CALORIES PER SERVING
For a great start to my morning, I like to throw a handful of blueberries in a blender with some almond milk - giving me a boost in energy and a hit of anti-ageing nutrients. This couldn't be any quicker.
- Place all the ingredients except the mint in a blender and whizz until smooth. Serve topped with a spring of mint.
READ NEXT: What to Eat: Expert Advice
© Wendy Rowe. All Rights Reserved.